Tuesday, March 23, 2010

DE Peppers wants to thank DT Gilbert for jersey number

Joining the Chicago Bears on a $91.5 million, six-year contract, defensive end Julius Peppers was also offered to continue wearing No. 90 NFL jersey, a number that was previously worn by Bears defensive tackle Jarron Gilbert. Gilbert did not say anything about having to change jersey number, but Peppers is determined to thank him through proper ways.

"I hit him up about it, but it was kind of late because they had already announced that I was going to get it,’ Peppers told Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune. "When I talked to him, he was like, ‘It’s all good.’ I told him I appreciated it and that I had to do something to show my appreciation. (Gilbert) told me not to even worry about it, but I’m going to hook him up anyway. What am I going to get him? I don’t know yet. I’m still trying to decide, think about what’s going to be good. I didn’t even meet him yet. I’m going to meet him and see what he likes and then try to hook him up with something.”

Peppers is the second player to take away Gilbert’s jersey number in one year but could be the first to thank him for doing that. Wearing No. 90 at San Jose State before he was drafted by the Bears as a third-round pick last year, Gilbert had to change to No. 73 because the number 90 was already worn by linebacker Joey LaRocque. He wore back NO. 90 after LaRocque was released but had to give it up again when the Bears signed Peppers from the free agent market.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, welcome to leave your comments.

It is fine to embed keywords and links either in your name or your comments or both,

but please be serious with your comments and do not spam with two or more links in one comment.

System will automatically block spam comments.

Enjoy reading and discussing!